Authored two editions of a text which educates teachers on the perils of teaching using tricks and provides conceptual alternatives. Most recently published in October 2015. NixTheTricks.com
Nix the Tricks Presentations:
Being a mathematics student is about critical thinking, justification and using tools of past experiences to solve new problems. Students who approach every topic as a series of steps to memorize are not learning math. In this session, we explore how to replace some popular tricks with teaching for understanding.
- 30-90 minute session for conferences
- 3-hour workshop for districts (grades 3-6 and 7-12)
- Set of three 3-hour workshops (initial session and two follow-up dates with assignments between)
Unveiling the Magic Presentations:
Math is magical and beautiful. Unlike sleight of hand magic, math tricks become even more amazing when they’re explained. When we decide to Nix the Tricks that doesn’t mean we stamp out all the weird and fun shortcuts, but instead we dive in and explore them! Come to this session to play with math and uncover some deep truths.
- 60-75 minute session for conferences
- 3-hour workshop for districts